WELCOME

Welcome to the Urban Culture course at Avila University created by Susan Lawlor and Dotty Hamilton.  We travel with our students to great cities to explore art museums, engage with the architecture, study the local film and music venues, and experience the ethnic enclaves as a way to learn about the culture of urban spaces and the interaction of art and environment.  It's a fun, intense learning environment.  

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tuesday

Beautiful Day - Walked to Millenium Park in morning
Marci walking the path in front of Art Institute
Self-guided tour of park

Playing with reflections in Cloud Gate sculpture
 Tour of Chicago Cultural Center after Lunch

Stained Glass Tiffany Dome at CCC
Dinner at Corcoran's Pub before a hilarious performance at the famed Second City comedy Improv Club - no pictures allowed at 2nd City - but here's Josh and Matt at Cororan's.



3 comments:

  1. 2nd City Improv was by far my favorite part of the trip. I didn't stop laughing the entire time! It did take a look into Chicago culture though,especially in the skits about Obama. It showed how they perceive and support him, in a comical way of course, with Illinois being his home state. Therush hour ride to 2nd City was very eye opening as well. We learned that there is a much faster pace and you have to give up most of your personal space to live in this city. It would definately be something to get used to.
    -Shawna W

    ReplyDelete
  2. The improv at Second City was the funniest show I have ever seen! It was new to me because the actors actually asked the audience what type of scene we wanted to see and they did a fantastic job. I also thought it was interesting that many famous comedians, such as Tina Fey and Steve Carell, started their careers at that theater. I will definitely visit Second City the next time I'm in Chicago!
    -Casey P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd City was by far my favorite part of this trip. The talent level of the actors was unmatchable. I've been to chicago 2 times in the past 3 months and this trip by far exceeded my expectations, from the boat tour to the tour of Chinatown. But to me getting to know some amazing people and have some fun along the way was the best part.

    Only if everyone could seen the real improve of myself and Josh...lol

    Great trip
    S.

    ReplyDelete