WELCOME

Welcome to the Urban Culture course at Avila University created by Susan Lawlor and Dotty Hamilton.  We travel with our students to great cities to explore art museums, engage with the architecture, study the local film and music venues, and experience the ethnic enclaves as a way to learn about the culture of urban spaces and the interaction of art and environment.  It's a fun, intense learning environment.  

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Chicago Art Institute

Touring the Chicago Art Institute's Modern wing

2 comments:

  1. I actually enjoyed seeing the art in the Chicago Art institute. I felt like I could have gone in there and spent another hour or two in there looking at the pieces of work. The piece of work with black and white streaks and splatters presented in this picture above had me really interested. I thought the texture and how it looked as though it wasn't planned, yet in some way it was, was really interesting to see and try to think what the artist thought about when he was painting. I enjoyed many of the paintings in this building and I really admired their uniqueness. I felt like this was a great experience to see how something you would not expect to be art can become a piece of art as well as a statement.
    -Lauren Stuteville

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoyed this quite a lot! Seeing the Jackson Pollock works were my favorite part of the trip to the institute. I could stay and look around the museum for hours I'm glad we saw those pieces. -Nick

    ReplyDelete