WELCOME

Welcome to the Urban Culture course at Avila University created by Susan Lawlor and Dotty Hamilton.  We travel with our students to great cities to explore art museums, engage with the architecture, study the local film and music venues, and experience the ethnic enclaves as a way to learn about the culture of urban spaces and the interaction of art and environment.  It's a fun, intense learning environment.  

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Shabu Shabu at Kayayaki

Dinner at this wonderful Japanese restaurant.  Shabu Shabu is a Japanese hotpot. Each of us cooked our own ingredients in a bowl at the table

2 comments:

  1. This was my very first time trying Shabu Shabu. I thought it was really cool being in a Canadian town that was half English half French, yet we also got a taste of some authentic Japanese food. I tried a Japanese soda that I had never heard of before as well. The soda required you to disemble the cap, place it upside down back on the top of the bottle to pop a marble down inside to help make the soda all fizzy.-- Lexi

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was by far one of my favorite meals we had while in Montreal. Kayayaki reminded me of the melting pot here in Kansas City, as both restaurants require you to cook your own food. Although there was some food I did not particularly care for, I was satisfied with the atmosphere itself. Because I really love to cook and am always trying new recipes, I was pleased to participate in yet another diverse experience while doing something I enjoy back home. Likewise, it was intriguing to learn the culinary techniques of a different culture. As Lexi mentioned above, I also tried the "japanese soda" which was unlike anything I had ever seen before. In general, I learned that the same ingredients we eat at home can been utilized in countless ways. In fact, I am eager to try making my own broth and cooking a meal at home this week!
    -Katie Fisher

    ReplyDelete