WELCOME

Welcome to the Urban Culture course at Avila University created by Susan Lawlor and Dotty Hamilton.  We travel with our students to great cities to explore art museums, engage with the architecture, study the local film and music venues, and experience the ethnic enclaves as a way to learn about the culture of urban spaces and the interaction of art and environment.  It's a fun, intense learning environment.  

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Touring Old Montreal

After a nice lunch in Old Montreal, we took a guided tour of the old town with Annie.  She was great.  Learned alot about the architecture and history - a bit chilly, but we survived.

3 comments:

  1. What a great tour guide we had - smilin' Annie, who was pretty much the only one dressed for the weather! But it warmed up, and Old Montreal is fascinating - so much history. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old Montreal was absolutely stunning! Learning about the history of such a beautiful place was a surreal experience. I could have admired this part of the city for days. Each time I was there, the awe factor never lessened. It's rare to be surrounded by such detailed architecture.

    I intend on working in advertising once I graduate and I would love to live near something so beautiful as Old Montreal. I think it would make for a creative environment in which I would be easily inspired. I often look towards my surroundings for inspiration and find myself in a very mediocre atmosphere. That was not the case in Montreal. I was exhilarated by the uniqueness, beauty, and history of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This area of Montreal was one of the things I looked forward to the most on the trip. There were so many things about old Montreal that really felt historic took you back to a different time. For me these things included:
    the heavy brick paver streets that were so narrow, the shape of the stones and the detail of the doorways, size of the huge wooden windows, the small rooms and wood floors. It was wonderful to be in such a classic beautiful place that was so old and to imagine all the history that happened right where we were standing. Heather Parrish

    ReplyDelete